Before getting started...
First, ensure that you have enabled access to the microphone when you download the Thinklabs Wave App.
During installation, it sometimes asks if you're willing to give access to the mic and sometimes not. When installing, you have to say "Yes." Apparently, iOS sometimes asks this question and sometimes not. The usual problem with the App is Apple and audio input source control. If you're getting room noise, the input isn't switching. Apple doesn't allow Apps to control the input source and wants to have their system do this automatically. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work!
To use Thinklink, follow the steps below, in the order they are written:
1. Connect the One to the lower left jack on the Thinklink box, which shows an icon that looks like the profile of the One. Use the long 3.5mm male-to-male audio cable supplied with the Thinklink.
2. Connect headphones (earbuds or others) to the upper left jack, signified by a headset icon.
3. Connect the short 3.5mm male to male audio cable to the lower right jack on the Thinklink. This is identified by a rectangular icon, indicating a smartphone or tablet.
4. Set the SOURCE switch to the middle position.
5. Set the MONITOR switch to the left position so you can monitor the stethoscope sound during recording.
6. Launch the Wave App on your device.
7. Plug the 3.5 mm short cable (or right angle male-male connector) into the Lightning adapter (for iPhones/iPads) or USB Type-C adapter(for Android devices).
** Alternatively **
If your device has a 3.5mm input, you can plug the 3.5mm short cable directly into the 3.5mm input of the device and skip step 8.
8. Plug the lightning or USB Type-C adapter into the device.
9. Turn on the One and begin recording (tap the red button icon on the top right of the screen). Adjust the volume on the One to a medium level.
10. Touch the screen to stop recording. Zoom in and out with thumb and forefinger to display the desired audio segment. Then touch Edit [E] > Trim to trim the recording to the displayed segment.
11. Slide the MONITOR switch to the far right and touch the Play icon (>) to play back the recording and monitor it via the headphones. Note: Slide the MONITOR switch to the middle position (not right position) in order to hear the stethoscope in one ear and the playback in the other. This is primarily used for telemedicine videoconferencing applications in order to hear the local stethoscope and the remote clinician simultaneously.
To learn about Thinklink, check out these pages:
Thinklink User's Manual